Kentucky’s Building Implementation Team Note Taking Tool
Using Implementation Data
Using implementation data monthly in Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) Cycles requires a disciplined process. Implementation Teams benefit from the use of a Note Taking Template to:
- Develop a precise problem statement: What is the problem, When is it occurring, Who is the target population, Why is the problem occurring, How often is the problem occurring?
- Develop action steps: Who, will do What, by When?
- Identify the goal, timeline for complementation, and indicators or evidence of completion
- Execute the plan
- Study fidelity of implementation achieved and effectiveness of the plan to solve the problem
- Follow-up action items based on level of implementation achieved and effectiveness of the plan to solve the problem
- Identify a new problem to solve
CYCLE AGAIN: PDSA
Kentucky educators are in the process of Usability Testing the training, coaching and PDSA data use systems and measures available to districts and schools in their Transformation Zone. A sample PowerPoint presentation was used in a few schools to test the feasibility of guiding teams through the process of using implementation data in PDSA Improvement Cycles. Keep your eye out in late 2020 for the release of the Kentucky White paper - How Kentucky Shareholders put into practice a Usable Innovation: Measuring the Independent Variable.
Using Capacity Assessment Data
Capacity data are used and communicated across multiple levels of an organization to create an enabling context for practice. This hospitable environment is fostered through the development of resources and eventually policy that supports and sustains all implementation efforts over time.
Wisconsin’s Action Planning Template and Action Plan Example
Purpose: The District Capacity Planning (DCP) tool is designed to organize the dialogue generated around each item of the District Capacity Assessment (DCA) to better facilitate the action-planning process. This tool corresponds directly to the DCA and provides space to capture information on each item. This document should only add value to the DCA process which should otherwise be followed as directed.
Wisconsin uses these tools:
- Wisconsin Facilitator Guide
- Action Plan
- DCA Notes Template
- Action Plan*
*See this Action Plan Example for a district action plan that spans the first year of a district’s work in the use of the Active Implementation Frameworks.